Top 5 Power Poll – It’s Gettin’ Meaty!
I’m taking a stab at my own Top 5 Power Rankings with a little extra and insight as the season progresses down the home stretch.
1. Alabama — Tough call, right? These guys take the lead and never look back. Every time you want to think that their opponent finally can test their skill in some facet of the game, the Tide finds a way to jump in front and put things on cruise control. Remaining Schedule: In SEC talk , their schedule hasn’t been back breaking thus far. LSU is up next but it’s hard to say that LSU is the same LSU we’ve seen the past couple of years. Texas A&M has had some hype but they’ve still not won a big time SEC matchup this season. Bama looks good to hold steady right into the SEC Title Game.
2. Notre Dame — Tough break! The BCS is getting this one wrong. Notre Dame has played their best defense against their best opponents. Their wins are more quality wins than Kansas St. to date. Plus, wouldn’t it be great to see an old rivalry renewed in the BCS Title game – ND-Bama?
3. Oregon — I have to put Oregon here over Kansas St. for the simple fact that Oregon’s offense is so potent. They might not have top notch opponents, but it still takes some effort to hang up 50-70 points consistently on the opposing team. Also, I’m not all that excited about seeing Oregon fall, again, to an SEC team for the title but maybe this is ‘their year.’
4. Kansas St. — Impressive to be where they are. They have a couple of hurdles left, but those hurdles aren’t terribly scary – Oklahoma St. and Texas. K-State may win out, but they still might sit behind two other undefeated teams. My odds are on Bama and ND winning out.
5. THE TOSS UP! In real time we have four SEC teams to pick from for this spot (LSU, UGA, Florida, and SC). LSU is the first choice – they don’t look ‘great’ but they’ve won two big games in a row. Their lone loss to FL. isn’t so bad considering FL sat atop the East. They can prove their worth this Saturday, at home, at night… with some luck of course.
Just to round things out:
6. UGA — Mark Richt… This guys is kinda like ‘Always the Bridesmaid, never the Bride.’ He’s had some Great teams but manages to lose that one game to keep them out of the National Championship but still in the SEC title game. Athens has a predicament on their hands. Is it best to back into and/or compete for SEC Titles, or is it best to break through and compete for National Titles? Bama may be the exception to that rule – keeping things honest – but they do show that it can be done, especially with an SEC schedule.
7. Florida — Ugh! It hurts to be part of UGA’s yearly signature win to keep you out of the running and them in it. Florida not only busted their SEC Title hopes but also as an alternate SEC team to play Bama for the National Championship – ala Bama, LSU last year. I think their shot at a rematch with Bama had they gone to the SEC, lost to Bama for their only loss and then back into the BCS title game would have been pretty high. Ask LSU.
8. South Carolina — Geesh!! This team annually falters on the big stage. Not much to say here other than They are lucky the BCS has kept them so high in the rankings with two losses over a handful of one loss teams and even an undefeated team or two. Not that any amount of luck will erase those two losses. Better luck next year? They might just adopt that as their motto.