If you were king of the Auburn search committee, who would be your first choice for head coach? Sand Mountain Tiger, a regular contributor to TET, suggested this list on Monday, and I thought it was a great idea.
Who would be on your short list and in what order? Be realistic. Jon Gruden is not walking through the door at Auburn. List your top 5 in order.
I’ll go first, but let me say that I’m torn and really everyone on my list would be a great choice (in my opinion). So here goes…
(1) Mike Gundy (Oklahoma State Head Coach) – He would bring excitement back to Auburn and his offense would be a perfect match for the personnel we have on campus. Plus, he could expand the recruiting footprint to Oklahoma and Texas.
(2) Gus Malzahn (Arkansas State Head Coach) – He’s an offensive genius and has recruited most every kid on the Auburn roster. When given the opportunity to run the offense his way, he’s hard to stop. He’s going to land at a big time program; it might as well be Auburn.
(3) Chris Petersen (Boise State Head Coach) – No one has a better record in college football over the last five years than Petersen. He’s proven in bowl games that he can beat the big boys. One negative is that he’s never recruited the South. He could off-set that with his staff, but it would still be an obstacle. Could he win in the SEC? I believe he could with the right support.
(4) Jimbo Fisher (Florida State Head Coach) – He knows Auburn better than most, having served as an assistant for six years during the Bowden era. His wife is an Auburn graduate, so he gets it. He would not miss a beat on the recruiting front and could likely save most of Auburn’s 2013 recruiting class. On the flip side, despite two good years at FSU, many believe he’s underachieved considering the talent on campus.
(5) Gary Patterson (TCU Head Coach) – He’s said to have bombed his interview with Auburn back in 2008. However, his on-field performance has been at the top of the class. There’s nothing splashy about Patterson. He’s not going to stir excitement like others, but he does do one thing well, and that’s winning.
Tags: auburn blog, auburn coaching rumors, auburn coaching search, Chris Petersen, gary patterson, Gus Malzahn, jay coulter, Jimbo Fisher, mike gundy, trackem tigers