Auburn Quarterback Nick Marshall continues to garner pre-season honors. (photo:Anthony Hall,Auburn media)
The days immediately following July 4th celebrations are always an exciting time of the year for college football fanatics. It’s a time when you can begin to tell the long off season is winding down and college football is just around the corner. While the second week of July brings the excitement of SEC Media Days, the first week marks the announcements of college football award watch list.
And just this week Auburn has had seven Tigers named to 10 different preseason honors.
* On Monday, Wide Receiver Sammie Coates and Quarterback Nick Marshall were named to the Maxwell Award Watch List, which goes to college football’s top college player. Sammie caught 42 passes for 902 yards and seven touchdowns last season and Nick threw for 1,976 yards and rushed for 1,068 more during 2013.
* Also on Monday came news that (Star) Safety Robenson Therezie is on the watch list for the Chuck Bednarik Award, which goes to the top defender. Robenson made 57 tackles and led the team with four interceptions.
* Kris Frost was named to the Butkus Award which goes to the nation’s top linebacker. Frost had 59 tackles last season, including six for a loss.
* On Tuesday C.J. Uzomah was named to the Mackey Award list, which goes to the nation’s top tight end. Uzomah caught 11 passes for 154 yards and three touchdowns last year in a run heavy offense.
* The same day, Center Reese Dismukes was once again honored as one of the nation’s best centers when he was place on the Rimington Trophy list. It was the third consecutive year for Reese to be so honored. Last season he was a Rimington finalists.
* Thursday saw Nick Marshall named as al.com’s conference pick for the Player of the Year in the SEC.
* Also Thursday brought big news when Defensive Tackle Gabe Wright joined Reese Dismukes and Offensive Guard Alex Kozan on the Outland Trophy Watch List. The Outland is a very prestigious award and goes to the nation’s top interior lineman.
Gabe also was placed on the watch lists for the Bronco Nagurski Trophy, which goes to the nation’s top defensive player. He made 35 tackles last season including three sacks and nine tackles for a loss. Kozan was part of an O-Line that paved the way for the nation’s top rushing attack.
Out of 121 Division I schools, Auburn is one of just six programs in the nation to have three players on the Outland list. Should one of them win the honor, it would be the third time in history that an Auburn man won the Outland. Auburn greats Zeke Smith won in 1958 and Tracy Rocker took home the honor in 1988.
Congrats to these Tigers, you make us proud! Now lets move on to the next big event of the 2014 football season …
SEC Media Days begin Monday!
Tags: Alex kozan, AubTigerman, Auburn blogs, Auburn Football, auburn Tigers, C.J. Uzomah, college football pre-season watch list, Gabe Wright, Nick Marshall, Reese Dismukes, Robenson Therezie, Sammie Coates, SEC blog, Track emTigers