I decided to take one final look back at Malzahn’s first season on the plains and list my favorite moments from one of the best seasons in Auburn football’s history. These are the moments that still stick with me.
10. Jeremy Johnson touchdown pass to Ricardo Louis against Western Carolina. The play comes in around the 0:50 second mark and it’s a beautiful deep ball thrown by Johnson. The future is very bright at the quarterback position.
9. Nick Marshall to Sammie Coates – SEC Championship Game. Seeing this play develop took years off of my life and added some gray hair to my head, but the end result was a spectacular touchdown pass to Coates in double coverage. It seems especially unfair when you consider just how much success Auburn had at running the football in this game.
8. Goal line stand against Arkansas. Good old-fashioned American football just wasn’t enough to overcome Auburn’s defense in this sequence. Bielema, eat your heart out. Skip to the 3:00 mark to see the stand.
7. Anything Tre Mason did. Technically this may be cheating, but I can’t pick just one highlight to sum up Mason’s final season on The Plains. One of the best running backs to ever suit up, Mason’s contributions will be missed for quite some time.
6. Nick Marshall and C.J. Uzomah deliver the dagger to Mississippi State. A beautiful throw to Uzomah in the back corner of the endzone sealed the Bulldogs’ fate inside Jordan-Hare and served notice to the rest of the SEC that Auburn’s offense was not just one-dimensional.
5. Sammie Coates sheds defender against Texas A&M. These are the kind of plays that cause grown men to begin behaving like children while watching the game. I thought my brother and I were going to running the Oklahome drill in his living room when this happened. Can you say, “pumped up”?
4. Manziel sacked late to seal an Auburn victory. The sack comes in at 5:26 but the whole highlight is filled with glimpses of what Auburn’s season would eventually become. The Tigers against the world attitude may have not been born on this day, but it was surely solidified.
3. Nick Marshall touchdown run against Alabama. Great play with a great result that helped set the tone against an Alabama defense that only Auburn believed could be gashed by running the football. The Tigers lit them up and this play was one of the highlights of Auburn’s ground attack against the vaunted Crimson Tide defense.
The last two were pretty easy:
2. Miracle in Jordan-Hare Part 1 – Extra points to Aaron Murray in this clip. His reaction provides a little extra enjoyment to the moment. It was a look he gave often in his college football career. Also, as the most amazing play I’ve ever seen live, I can’t wait to share this experience with my kids/grandkids one day. Jordan-Hare stadium was a madhouse.
1. Iron Bowl Stunner; Miracle in Jordan-Hare part 2 – This one speaks for itself. Although I was not at this game, I was outside of the stadium watching on a television. I will never forget the chills I had when I heard the stadium erupting in joy at Chris Davis’ return. The kicker in this clip for me is Stan White’s “OH MY GOSH!” as he realizes at about the same time as everyone else watching that Auburn is going to win the Iron Bowl in one of the most unbelievable ways ever.
Also, here’s the CBS version with all of the ‘sad McArron family’ goodness.